Gut health for the holidays
With the holidays around the corner, it is important to fill your heart with a few moments of rest – whether with family, a quiet night in, and more. With that may come irregular sleep schedules, travel, or changed meal and snack routines, which can have an impact on your mind and body throughout the holidays. Any change in routines can show up in your digestion quickly. And while these changes are often inevitable, there are a few ways to take care of your gut to make sure you feel your best through the season.
- Drink more water than you think. Make sure that you are taking time to drink water…and lots of it. A change in food intake or routine can be dehydrating. Make sure you drink at least half of your weight in ounces each day. Try adding lemon or lime to your water to further support your digestion.
- Talk a walk. A short walk can have a huge impact on your digestion. Whether it’s down the street, around your apartment, or with friends and family, movement (especially after a meal) can improve gastric motility.
- Eat some fiber. Try to focus your snacks on eating good fiber through leafy greens, oats, apples, and more.
- Take a supplement. A pre and probiotic can help support your digestion every single day, especially in times where routines may change.
- Take supplies with you. Whether you’re traveling, running errands, or visiting friends, make sure to always keep water and healthy snacks with you – like nuts, yogurt, fruit and veggies.