How a clinical psychologist and new mom finds balance throughout the day
Dr Rachel Goldman, PhD
It’s important to remember that our routines can shift and look a little different as life shifts. I have a one-month-old at home, so my routine looks a little different than before. Even if our life may look different at different times, it’s still important to have a few things that are consistent. These are the behaviors that I do on most days, and these are the things that help me find balance throughout my day.
- Stay Hydrated. Water and staying hydrated throughout the day is one thing that impacts my ability to stay balanced. I carry a water bottle around with me all day, and before I go to bed I make sure it is on my nightstand so in the middle of the night when I wake up thirsty or in the morning, it’s the first thing that I see and it’s a reminder to drink water. So before I even get out of bed, I make sure I take several sips of water.
- Coffee Ritual. At some point in the morning, I make a cup of coffee. While I make it, I take my Rae Pre+Probiotic and then try to pause to be in the moment and take a few deep breaths. I may also say something like “I got this” to myself as a reminder that no matter what gets thrown at me today, I can and will handle it!
- Fuel with the Kids. Even though the mornings are pretty hectic with getting my son ready for camp, and feeding and changing the little one, I always make time to fuel my body, and I try to do that with my son as an activity that we do together while discussing what the day will look like for us both and what he is looking forward to.
- Frequent Breaks. The rest of my day can look very different on different days, but I take breaks throughout the day to check in with myself. I may ask myself “what do I need right now.” That may be additional food, getting outside to get fresh air, moving my body, taking a break to just rest or breathe, or reaching out for support. Physical activity and movement has always been a big part of my routine and helps me stay balanced, so I make sure that is part of my daily routine, even if it is to only take a short walk to run an errand.
- Evening Ritual. When my son gets home from camp, and before dinner, we often have a little extra down time which consists of us talking about his day (checking in with him) and also being silly and either playing or having a dance party. We will then make dinner and try to eat together as a family (although that doesn’t always happen). After dinner, I always take my Rae prenatal vitamins before I close up the kitchen and get everything and everyone ready for bed. I then like to end my day similarly to the way I started it, so I make sure I am drinking some water and also doing some breathing to calm my mind and prepare myself for bedtime.