With work, friends, family, and keeping current with the news, it is so easy to put yourself last on the priority list. Among the phone calls, getting one last email out, or getting in a quick shower, we often forget some of the basic fundamentals of taking care of ourselves. One of the things that women often forget to do is EAT! Whether it’s due to time pressure, finances, or a lack of options at home or in the office (or on the go), women often forget one of the most basic human needs, nourishment.
While skipping lunch once and awhile may seem harmless, the impact that nourishment has on all facets of your well-being is critical – including stress and energy levels, digestion, libido, hormones, and more. The most common side effects of skipping meals include nutrient deficiencies, energy and mood swings, irregular digestion, and late-night cravings. How can we prioritize ourselves and remember to eat throughout the day when it seems like it is out of reach?
- Keep snacks ready. If a full meal isn’t possible for you, keeping your blood sugar consistent with snacks is critical. Look for something that has 10 grams of protein and 5-10 grams of healthy fats. Hardboiled or pre-cooked eggs, apple slices, nuts, cheese, or dark chocolate can be pre-packaged and ready to go. Keep these within reach, so you can snack while you are doing other things.
- Prepare on weekends or days off. Getting 3-4 meals ready on your days off can go a long way, both with time and money. Keeping these options in your office or home fridge can support a quick grab and go. Some of our favorite TikTok creators for this are @nutritionbykylie and @jenneatsgoood.
- Sit down away from your work. Stepping away from whatever you are doing helps you focus on making YOU and your nourishment a priority. Pausing to sit down outside or in a different room or office can tell your mind and body to rest and enjoy the moment. By changing scenery, you change your mindset and give yourself a deserved break from the daily grind. Bonus points if you don’t pick up your phone.
- Make lunch a wellness event. Celebrate yourself if you take 15 minutes out of your day to pause and eat without scrolling on your phone or doing work. Give yourself a high-five for giving your mind and body what it needs. Bonus points if you take a few minutes to do a deep breathing exercise before or after you eat.
- Avoid old norms. It used to be seen as a badge of honor to work through lunch. Let’s have deadlines wait a few minutes to ensure you get what your mind and body needs. Bonus points if you check on each other throughout the process – and ensure we all take the necessary steps for nourishment.
And, as always, it’s important to support your nutrition holistically. We have an amazing multivitamin that supports your daily wellness so you can feel your best from inside. Featuring essential vitamins, minerals and traditional herbal ingredients, Rae’s Multivitamin is formulated to holistically to help you thrive.