Let’s not let your period put a pause on your sex life. Although it can sometimes be a bit messy, it is completely safe. And, if you do a little prep work, it can be just as enjoyable as the rest of the month. Further, having sex when you’re menstruating can have quite a few advantages. See below for a few frequently asked questions from our community.
What are the benefits of sex during your period?
1. Reduced aches and pain. Sex can be a natural headache reliever as many women experience migraines during their periods. Additionally, orgasms may relieve menstrual cramps.
2. Natural lubrication. Blood acts as a natural lubricant, so feel free to put away your usual go-to’s.
3. Happy hormones. Sex can release endorphins, which make you feel good.
How should I begin?
1. Be open with your partner. Tell them how you feel and ask them how they feel about it. If either of you is hesitant, talk about it until you become comfortable.
2. Have a plan for leaks. Have sex in the shower or lay down a dark towel. Additionally, make sure you have a wet washcloth or wipes handy to clean up afterward.
3. Make sure your vagina is product-free. If you’re having penetrable sex, take out your tampon or menstrual cup.
4. Continue to use protection. It’s important to continue your same form of contraception to avoid the spread of STI’s and unexpected pregnancy.
If you’re not comfortable having sex during your period – or ever – masturbation is perfectly safe during menstruation. However, there’s no need to avoid sexual activity during your period. And if you’re comfortable with the idea, we encourage you to start to experiment with what works for you.