When it comes to supporting your well-being, we believe prioritizing nourishment should be at the top of the list. We recently connected with chef Sandy Ho to learn more about how she nourishes her body and mind throughout the day.
What inspired you to become a chef?
Watching people move in the kitchen. This dance is so romantic to me and I was witness to it from a young age seeing my mum and dad in the kitchen making us dinner. Something so simple but a memory that will never fade for me.
How do you think about the topic of nourishment?
Nourishment is whatever you need to make yourself feel alive. On most days it’s conversations with my farmer friends, mixing nuoc cham and homemade meals with fresh market ingredients. And occasionally it may be a glass of wine or an extra scoop of ice cream. I believe that nourishment is listening to your body and allowing it to celebrate. My work with food and my brand Sandita’s very much embodies this belief. There is nothing more mind-nourishing, soul-nourishing and body-nourishing than listening to what people need and making it for them but also for yourself.
How do you support your well-being throughout the day?
- I try my best to remember to drink enough water everyday.
- I always sit down for lunch or at least for one meal a day and make it a nice one, no phone or emails, just the food I’ve just made beautifully plated and me, eating it.
- I will always try to make it to or see the water at least once a day, even if it’s a drive by. Lately I’ve been catching the most beautiful sunsets in the evenings and feel lucky to see it almost everyday where I live in Venice.
- 20 minutes a day roller skating—this is a new one but I’m so determined and getting really good!
- I have a simple but effective skincare routine morning and night.
- I will always only wear my favorite clothes.
What does ‘shine from inside’ mean to you?
Looking after yourself. Taking care of your body with food that is grown and made from passion. Taking care of your mind and heart when they need tending to. Having the time to do all of the above helps me feel shine. Something I’m actively working on with my busy schedule but I never regret making time for me and those I love.
Top five pantry staples?
- Fish sauce
- Toasted sesame oil
- Homemade chili oil
- More fish sauce
Favorite playlist to cook to?
“Love in the kitchen” by me!